November 13, 2023
2023 Fall Events
Fall Events. It was a busy one. Fall 2023 saw BKSK hosting and participating in so many events.
- Partner, Julie Nelson continued teaching Professional Practice at City College, in collaboration with Elsa Ponce (of her own firm and WIP Collaborative).
- Eban Singer one of BKSK’s Associates is teaching at City Tech again this year.
- JT Yi is teaching at the New York School of Interior Design and received his Architect license!
- Our studio manager Rich Rickaby who joined BKSK in the summer, is teaching Introduction to Illustrator at F.I.T.; he also just received his Notary Public certification.
- We welcomed several classes to visit our studio including Martin Stigsgaarde’s studio at City College (we discussed adaptive re-use) and Julie participated in that studio’s mid-term design review. We are looking forward to joining the final review in December.
- Cooper Union Professional practice class visited the office in September. That class is taught by Anik Pearson, who with Nancy Kleppel created the Mentorship for Women in Architecture speaker series.
- Julie Nelson presented the Center for Fiction to Christine Kelley’s class at the Virginia Tech Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC). Her studio is focusing on collection spaces, including Libraries. Julie will be a guest critic at the studio’s upcoming mid-term review.
- Julie also moderated a panel on reinvention and adaptive reuse, at the Zak World of Facades Conference.
- Partner David Kubik and Associate William Russel presented our work at ACAW at the Intersections Conference on Material Conservation-UMASS Amherst.
- Julie and Eban hosted a tour of the Queens Botanical Garden during OHNY Weekend.
- We have the most Four-Leaf-Clovers in our category for The Plan awards. Three of our projects are Finalists for awards in different categories.
- Upon receiving a MASterworks award for the Battery Playscape, we hosted a tour of the Playscape with Starr Whitehouse and received our award for Best Urban Landscape, at the Center for Architecture.
- Charlotte of the Upper West Side was featured in the New York Times and in Passive House Accelerator.
- There was a dedication and installation of a recovered headstone at Wash Square Park House – it was unearthed during our work building the Park House and the headstone’s namesake was identified, and BKSK completed pro bono work to create a representation of the missing bottom half and the decorative metal support for the display.
- The office took a tour of our 144-150 Barrow Street development, The Keller.
- Principal, Harpreet Dhaliwal attended the Battery Gardner’s Luncheon
- Joan Krevlin again appeared on The Weather Channel speaking about the Playscape.
- Joan also spoke on a panel with colleagues on Climate Adaptation for Play Spaces. This event was hosted by the Urban Design Forum and Capita.
- We got our first newsletter (in years) out in October! Sign up here to be on our mailing list.